In the market, there are various dietary supplements made from collagen that are focused on improving joint health and combating pain. As the years go by, small aches resulting from daily life can start to limit one's mobility.
What are joints and why do they hurt?
Joints are complex structures that connect two bones and allow for movement. Joints consist of the connecting bones, tendons, ligaments, the synovial membrane, and cartilage.
Similarly, all the parts mentioned above can be damaged, leading to joint pain. It's important to know that there are many conditions caused by this joint pain, with the most common being:
- Osteoarthritis, which directly affects the cartilage.
- Tendonopathies, mostly resulting from sports activities.
- Muscle injuries, primarily caused by overuse, quick muscle contractions, excessive frequency, or overextending the muscles.
What is collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and one of the primary components of joints. It is primarily found in:
- Tendons and cartilage
- The skin
Its main function is to provide flexibility, elasticity, and support. However, it's essential to note that not all collagen is the same, and there are different types depending on its location.
Focusing directly on joints, we will discuss:
- Type 1 collagen: Responsible for providing flexibility and elasticity to tissues. It is present in bones, tendons, and skin.
- Type 2 collagen: Found in cartilage and provides resistance.
Each collagen protein is composed of amino acids, most of which are essential. This means that under optimal conditions, the body can synthesize them, but as the years pass, external supplementation may be required.
Are collagen supplements useful?
Collagen loss begins around the age of 30, specifically at a rate of 1% per year. Given its fundamental role, it's essential to maintain adequate levels. Additionally, it's crucial to consider that collagen obtained through diet is not easily absorbed, whereas collagen supplements have much better absorption due to being hydrolyzed, making them the better option.
Moreover, there are more reasons why supplements are beneficial:
- They are recommended for preventing and treating chronic and degenerative diseases like osteoarthritis or osteoporosis. Continuous intake helps reduce joint pain caused by wear and tear, slows down bone mass loss, and improves joint mobility.
- They enhance skin hydration, providing elasticity and reducing wrinkles.
Furthermore, it's interesting to consume supplements to:
- Take care of and maintain healthy joints.
- Improve tendon injury healing.
- Preserve joint health for individuals engaging in intense sports after the age of 30.
- Reduce back, neck, or joint pain.
When choosing a supplement, it's essential to consider that it should provide 10 grams of type 1 or type 2 collagen daily. An ideal option is Matcha Collagen from Matcha & CO.
It's a high-quality dietary supplement that combines four essential ingredients to improve skin, bone, and tendon health: collagen peptides, magnesium, hyaluronic acid, and matcha tea.
Collagen peptides are a key component for maintaining strong and healthy skin, bones, and tendons. They also help improve skin elasticity and firmness, reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
Magnesium is essential for maintaining strong bones and optimal cardiovascular health.
Hyaluronic acid is a key component of the skin that helps maintain hydration and reduce wrinkles and expression lines.
Matcha tea is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which protect the skin from environmental damage and improve overall health. Additionally, matcha tea can enhance concentration and cognitive performance.